You are here
KSU has achieved a phenomenal increase in scientific publishing with this year's output five times what it was in 2007, when only 324 scientific papers were published.
This increase in scientific publishing parallels the university's publishing of five research articles in the highly respected international scientific journals Science , Nature and other renowned journals as well as a number of patents KSU has registered with the U.S. Patent Office.
The standards required for scientific journals to be ISI indexed reflect the quality of the journal. They include:
1) The timeline of publication is of primary importance because a journal must be published according to its stated frequency for at least two consecutive years.
2) The international diversity of the specialties and country of origin of the journal’s editorial committee, to inspire confidence in the quality and distinction of the published articles.
3) The diversity of the sources of research published in the journal, to cover the largest possible number of countries and researcher nationalities.
4) The quality of published research and its relevance to the international scientific community. This research is assessed according to the number of citations the authors have in other journals.
5) All research articles should be published in English for accessibility to researchers worldwide.
6) All international quality criteria for refereed international journals must be satisfied in submission, evaluation and publishing of scientific articles.
It is hoped that KSU's success will encourage other Saudi universities to increase their emphasis on research and publications.
The Institute for Scientific Information was founded in 1960 by Eugene Garfield. After it was acquired by Thomson Scientific & Healthcare in 1992, it became known as Thomson ISI and now is part of the Healthcare & Science business of the multibillion-dollar Thomson Reuters Corporation.
ISI offers bibliographic database services with a specialty in indexing and analysis, a field pioneered by Garfield.