You are here
Faculty members from King Saud University’s Departments of Food Science and Nutrition and Animal Production were members of the Scientific Committee and chairing of sessions responsible for holding the First International Conference and Exhibition on Halal Food Control, which was inaugurated by HRH Prince Sattam bin Abdulaziz, Governor of the Riyadh region, on February 12 at the Intercontinental Hotel.
The three-day event, which was organized by the Saudi Food and Drug Administration, brought together scientists and organizational leaders from Arab and Muslim countries, as well as America and Europe, to discuss not only the spiritual and moral aspects of halal food, but related matters of human nutrition as well.
The purpose of the conference served specific purposes such as clarifying the concept of halal food and its requirements from an Islamic perspective, presenting technical and economic aspects of halal food, cultivating public-private cooperation and coordination in relation to halal food control and discussing scientific technologies being used to detect and analyze forbidden contaminants and residues in foods labeled "halal".
The following KSU faculty members served as session chairmen:
- Hassan A. Al-Kahtani - Dean of the College of Agriculture
- Abdulrhman Al-Khalifa - Department of Food Science and Nutrition
- Adnan Ba-Jaber - Department of Food Science and Nutrition
- Mosffer M. Al-Dagal - Department of Food Science and Nutrition
The following KSU faculty members served as session rapporteurs, noting the dominant issues arising in their session's presentations and subsequent discussions:
- Abdullah Al Naser, Department of Islamic Studies
- Hamad A. Al-Batshan - Department of Animal Production
- Mohammed A. Alfawaz - Department of Food Science and Nutrition
The following KSU faculty members made presentations at the First International Conference and Exhibition on Halal Food Control:
- Dr. Alarabi Mohamad Aledresee – Various Methods of Animal Dazing from Shariah Point of View
- Dr. Hamad A. Al Batshan, with Dr. Zuhair Mulla of the Saudi Food and Drug Authority, Methods of Slaughtering and Processing Poultry in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, A Comparative Study
- Dr. Natheer Mohammed Ehab Transformation and its Effect on Food Lawfulness
- Dr. Awad H. Al Harbi Stunning and Automated Slaughtering
- Dr. Ihab Mohamed Moussa Role of Biotechnology & Genetic Engineering in GM Foods
Dr. Maqusood Ahamed Nanotechnology in Food Industry: A Future Technology